Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Thoreau-Up


Why did I ever think that a calorie free, fat free marshmallow dip would taste good?

Because I’m a sucker, that’s why.

The cheesy brand name alone should have sounded alarm bells in my head—Walden Farms??!! As if this dip would provide the consumer with some sort of bucolic, poetic transcendental experience.

Needless to say, it was horrible- thin, gummy, mostly flavorless on the front and with a unidentifiable chemical aftertaste. Walden Farms also makes fat free, calorie free “creamy peanut spread”—pair that with the “marshmallow dip” and you can have yourself the worst Fluffernutter conceivable.

So ok- I want to drop a couple pounds…but not like this…NOT LIKE THIS!!!
A question for the blogosphere: What horrible diet foods have you tried in the noble pursuit of less junk in the trunk?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you do NOT need to lose weight!! But I understand the urge :)

I used to eat Snackwell cookies. I suppose half of that name is correct--it IS a snack. Do you snack well when you are eating Snackwells? That would be a negative.

Jen said...

I loved your title. I have friends who swear by Walden Farms products, but I'm with you... all the way.

Sun Runner said...

"Light" butter from Land-O-Lakes. Yuck! For as often as I use butter in cooking (not much anymore) I'll just use the real deal!

"Low-Carb" pasta. Like eating moldy cardboard! Horrible! I'll just stick with whole wheat, thank you.

I've been doing Weight Watchers for almost 2 years so there's not much I haven't explored. But you know what? Cooking at home from scratch with healthy, whole ingredients will win the battle of the bulge over prepackaged diet low-carb no-fat sugar-free blah blah blah crap any time. (or so says the 70 pounds I've lost).

Anonymous said...

I think I just vomited in my mouth. Calorie-free marshmallow paste??? What the ____ could it possibly be made of?

A calorie is defined as the energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius. I'm no scientist, but with that in mind, anything calorie-free other than water scares the crap out of me.

Maggie said...

Ugh, I had a huge lapse in judgement and bought some bacon flavored salad dressing from the same company. It was ghastly!! I think I scrubbed my tongue with bleach to get the taste out.